Together with waxx we decided to give crowdfunding a go with our two-and-a-half months old project, Like No One Ever Was.
'Nuff said the first step was to plan everything out, write down milestones, todo lists, all the things that we need to get done before we launch the campaign.
Let’s list the ideas we’ve already agreed on:
- We will launch a Greenlight campaign day after we start the crowdfunding campaign (there’s a lot of traffic there)
- We will use Indiegogo instead of Kickstarter (infinity times easier to set up)
- We will focus all of our efforts on developing a good trailer for the game
- We will be documenting the process via a series of transparent blog posts (obviously this is the first one of those)
- We will be promoting the game in the meantime everywhere we can (following the advice from this post)
- In the halfway through we will release a teaser trailer (containing roughly 1/3 of the designated crowdfunding trailer)
- We won’t submit our project to Square Enix’s Collective, which we considered for some time as a valid idea.
- We will be showing “moving mock-ups” in our trailer. What I mean by this is that we won’t have every feature that we want to show implemented by the time and so we will be ‘faking’ those.
- We want to have a landing page ready for the time when we launch the teaser trailer.
As you may see the most important thing to do next was to plan step-by-step how the trailer will look. By doing that we could make a clear to-do list and split out some scenes for the teaser trailer, so we would do them first.
Here’s how our milestone #1 todo list looks like:
- design the main character, sprites + animations
- environment and all the assets needed to fake all the scenes we want in our teaser
- a landing page for the game
- promotion in the meantime
- write this and the following blog posts
So, that’s all for now, I’d love to get some feedback on what parts you’d like me to talk more about, go more into details, or if you have any questions, maybe you don’t agree with some of our decisions?
Talk to me at @DushanChaciej, or in the comments below : 3